Thursday, May 28, 2009

Listen Up

by: Jillian Derpack

I’ve been engaged for a year and 4 months now (way to long of an engagement if you ask me) and over the course of those 16 months there are a few pieces of advice that I have received that have really stuck with me. I’m not claiming to be an expert but I kind of do this for a living too so listen up!

1. Be practical
The first thing Jarret (my lovely fiancé) and I did when we got engaged was make a list of everything we could ever possibly want and then we hacked away at deciding what was most important to us. This turned out to be food, drinks and entertainment because we really wanted to show our guests a good time. Don’t expect to be able to do everything you have ever dreamed of, one everything costs a ton and two, there just isn’t enough time. Which brings me to number


2. Don’t procrastinate!
If you plan on taking on a lot of projects, start early. My bridesmaids and I decided to make hanging pomanders for our ceremony aisle, it’s a lovely look but real pomanders are super expensive so we made them out of tissue paper. Little did we know that this project would take us 10 months to complete. Don’t be the Bride who is finishing her programs at 2am the night before her wedding. My goal is to have everything completely done 2 weeks before the wedding so if there are any emergencies I can deal with them instead of being stressed.


3. Surround yourself with amazing people, no matter what
I have 8 bridesmaids and I’m not ashamed to tell people that. People always gasp at me when I tell them 8 but all 8 of these women are very important to me and I could not imagine not having them next to me on my big day. Atleast I’m not having 9 like my sister and Maid of Honor Jenelle (Also one of the fabulous women behind Mapel).

4. Think out of the box and support local businesses
Ever been to a wedding that looks like every other wedding you have been to recently? I have and that is definitely not what I wanted for my wedding. Almost everything I have bought for the wedding has been from Etsy.com, because not only can you find great deals but you can get exactly what you want since most shops do custom orders. Also you know your money is going to real people instead of big huge corporations.

And Finally….

Stay calm and enjoy yourself!

This goes for both the planning period and the day of your wedding. Being engaged and getting married is FUN and should not stress you out…too much anyways (it is stressful at times but you will get through it).

The happiest brides I’ve seen are the ones who realize what is actually happening that day; they are marrying the love of their life. At a recent wedding I was working at the photographer decided to hang the wedding dress from the sprinkler on the ceiling to get a good shot of the dress. She ended up flooding the entire room and drenching the wedding dress. Normally you would think the bride would be livid but no, this bride stayed completely calm and said no biggie everything will be fine. And as it turned out everything went great! They were able to get the dress to the dry cleaner and back before the ceremony started and moved the ceremony outside since it was a nice day out.

Again I don’t claim to be an expert but hopefully this advice will hAdd Imageelp you out as much as it helped me out.

P.S. I bought my bridesmaids the most adorable jewelry from Mapel, check it out.

No comments: