Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Buffalo Wings - Ain't No Thang'

I won't lie and say I "officially" received a letter from one of our blog readers (mostly because that has Never happened) but I will say I overheard a conversation amongst some girlfriends about "what to wear at sporting events". As a disclaimer I would like to call out that they were the sort of girls that "get invited" to games- meaning they don't actually know the origin of the term "getting to 3rd base".

They were talking about "the horror" of getting asked out on a 2nd date only to find out it was a sporting event.
Even worse- they were taken to "Buffalo Wild Wings" for dinner before the game. I actually felt kinda bad because she even talked about how she was wearing a white button down, her favorite jeans and heels. Did she know ahead of time she was going to a baseball game? Yes. Did she know what to wear? No.

(yes- this is a picture of me eating a "wild wing" at a Blazers game- It Happens)

Because I have stranger danger issues I jotted down a few of her concerns on a napkin and decided to lend my fashion expertise assistance from a distance. Meaning if she happens to know one of the 12 blog readers I have hopefully this entry will get forwarded onto her.

So what does one wear to a sporting event? Be it basketball? baseball? football? foosball?


Here follows my sound advise, and let the record show that if I had not spent the last 10 months dating a sports Fan'atic I wouldn't have the least idea what to wear. But, because I have survived fall football, winter basketball and starting to put in some time with baseball I can speak from experience.




Numero Uno: One must ensure that adult beverages will be easily available on site. By "ensure" I mean make it a point to casually mention looking forward to "a tall one". Guys love beer terms and - well- a tall one can have more than one meaning- so play on that.




Second: Ditch the heels. They are so not functional and honestly end up looking desperate when worn as a sports game accessory. Don't even do those wedge, cork'ie sort of things- just don't. Trade in your stilhettoes for some cute flats or flip flops.
Third: Layer. Layer. Layer. This is a "must"- you have to have some sort of over layer piece. Be it a sweater, cardigan, wrap or light weight jacket. You'll want to wear this because it further enhances the concept that you Totally know how to dress when attending sports.



Fourth (possibly most important): Wear a super cute'ness total Whammie tank or top under your layering piece. The idea is that you are so Happy & Excited to be at the game that you get totally into the actual sporting event. You're cheering, yelling, clapping, jumping up from your seat, etc. etc. and getting really "hot". So "hot" that you have to take off your layering pieces. Oooopsss.... Are you wearing your total cute'ness- generally only reserved for- Friday Night Out top? You had no idea. But you're so into the game you had to take off your sweater, cardigan, wrap or light weight jacket.


Cheers to an amazing baseball season full of slam dunks & field goals.

No comments: