Tuesday, November 4, 2008

New Orleans

This week I am celebrating 3 decades of existence. As a gift (and excuse to distract me from obsessing over what I did or didn't do with those 3 decades) a "friend" surprised me with a trip to New Orleans (here on out referred to as NO). I've never been. I have however been to Las Vegas and before arriving assumed NO was the Vegas of the east coast. My reasoning for assuming they were one and the same is that you can openly drink on the streets and necessary evening attire mandates at least 7 pieces of "flare".

I was wrong. NO completely trumps Vegas. Not only is flare & booze acceptable and encouraged but NO offers history, architecture, music, food and education. When is the last time someone came home from Vegas with a new perspective on the Civil War?

As per the all knowing Wikipedia NO is defined as follows:
The city is named after Philippe II, Duc d'Orléans, Regent of France, and is one of the oldest cities in the United States. It is well known for its multicultural and multilingual heritage,cuisine, architecture, music (particularly as the birthplace of jazz),and its annual Mardi Gras and other celebrations and festivals. The city is often referred to as the "most unique" city in America.

Here follows my concurrence with Wikipedia (and a few attempts at humor so it doesn't get boring).
One of the oldest city in the United States:
Look closely and you will notice the building is tilted down to the right.
So old the storm drains are overflowing after a mild rain shower. I'm not complaining though 'cause overflowing storm drains also serve as drinking fountains. Can't say that in Seattle.
Multicultural and multilingual:

We likely spent 75% of our time in the French Quarter meeting street vendors, artists, musicians, magicians and palm readers.


Heritage:

You've probably heard about NO's social heritage.
Often resulting in lazy mornings dozing off in a doorway in the French Quarter.

Cuisine:
I tried alligator and never need to do that again.

I did however love the beignets and K Paul's Kitchen.


Architecture:


There is not enough space on this blog to share all the pics we took of the architecture.
I absolutely loved the intricate iron work, brick buildings and dedication to detail.

Mardi Gras:
Interestingly enough I read in the local paper that a lecture would be given at the museum with a panel of Mardi Gras costume designers. It was one of my favorite memories of NO.

Music:

I've saved the very best for last. Words can not describe the energy behind NO's music scene.
A few pictures can not describe the energy behind NO's music scene. Please refer to below YouTube link. We were fortunate enough to stumble across a brass band along Bourbon street. Everyone was "feeling the vibe". Notice the guy dancing with a single bike wheel. Possibly this is a new dance move i'm not savvy to. Also make note of the WUI (wheelchair under the influence).

No comments: